Fiberglass planters are a very long-lasting and sensible investment for enhancing the inside and outside of your property and can keep your plants healthy.
Commercial-grade fiberglass outdoor planters can withstand all types of harsh weather, from sunny to snowy, without the planter deteriorating, so you can place them in high-traffic areas like offices or reception areas without worrying about them becoming cracked from the occasional impact.
Before jumping in our guide on fiberglass planter maintenance, check out our collection of high-quality, functional fiberglass planters and see what we offer!
- Why Don’t Fiberglass Planters Need Much Maintenance?
- How To Clean Fiberglass Planters
- Summer Care For Fiberglass Planters
- Winter Care For Fiberglass Planters
- How To Touch Up Your Fiberglass Planters
- JBD Concepts Is Here To Help With Your Planter Needs
- Best JBD Concept Fiberglass Planters For 2022
- JBD Concepts Offer You Or Your Customers The Best Planter Solutions Available
Why Don’t Fiberglass Planters Need Much Maintenance?
Our planter manufacturing technology ensures our containers are both frost-resistant and weather-resistant. Unlike other planter materials used for containers such as plastic pots, clay pots and metal pots which deteriorate significantly in adverse weather, fiberglass planters are widely used for numerous commercial applications because they don’t react to temperature changes that cause structural damage. As a non-organic material, they also don’t rot or leech chemicals like plastic pots.
Despite the fact that fiberglass pots are highly durable and require relatively little maintenance, dirt, dust, and other particles will eventually build up on your fiberglass planters wherever you put them and can lead to imperfections in your design scape.
To keep your fiberglass planter looking as wonderful as when it was initially delivered, a little bit of occasional maintenance will do the trick. It’s simple, so don’t worry, just follow our guide on maintenance for fiberglass pots to keep them looking splendid year-round!
How To Clean Fiberglass Planters
If you’re looking for a low-maintenance option for your plants, fiberglass planters are a great choice. Here’s how to keep your fiberglass planters stay clean and looking their best:
- Start by dusting the planter with a soft sponge or a soft bristle brush. This will remove any surface dirt or debris.
- If the planter is very dirty, you can wash it with mild soap and water. Be sure to rinse it well afterward to remove any soap residue.
- For tough stains, you can use a diluted solution of vinegar or bleach with warm soapy water. Apply it to the stain with a soft cloth and scrub until it’s gone.
- Always rinse harsh chemicals and soapy water off well afterward to avoid damaging the planter material.
- For a premium finish, cover the exterior of your outdoor planters with a top-quality marine-grade wax every six months or so. This extra coating fills in the microscopic pitting on the surface of your pot, giving the finish coat another layer of protection which helps to prolong its lifespan significantly.
With a little bit of proper care, your fiberglass planter will stay looking like new for years to come in any indoor or outdoor space!
Worried about setting up and filling your new pots? Don’t worry. Read our guide to installing fiberglass planters!
Summer Care For Fiberglass Planters
Our high-quality fiberglass planters do not need maintenance throughout the summer season. Care involves regular cleaning and will keep your plant containers looking like new in the summer.
Fiberglass planters are perfect for all weather conditions, with an automotive-grade finish, they will be resistant to small cracks and fading color caused by damaging UV radiation even if the sun is soaring. This sort of coating will keep your fiberglass planter appearing new at all times.
Just make sure the surface of your fiberglass containers doesn’t have any cracks that will affect their aesthetic appeal, though it’s not an issue that affects the structural integrity, these cracks can become larger with strong rains and freezing temperatures as winter arrives.
Looking for the right pot for your summer arrangements? Learn more about the best pot sizes!
Winter Care For Fiberglass Planters
Most planters have a very short lifespan, and the plants you’ve nurtured and cared for will be endangered if your containers fail to function in more severe, subzero weather. When temperatures fall below freezing, porous materials such as ceramic, terracotta, and concrete tend to break.
Fiberglass plant containers, on the other hand, can handle everything that others cannot. They can withstand extremely low temperatures in the winter while preserving the aesthetic you’ve desired, and they don’t require particular care as the season changes, making them the ideal container for growing trees and other large plants to showcase outside.
Because resin planters are non-porous and non-hygroscopic and do not absorb extra moisture from the air, they are suitable for use as outdoor planters in the winter. With our standard protective finish that has added protection from water damage, you can be confident that your fiberglass planter will not take in water and freeze – the common demise for other less-sophisticated planters.
Indoor winter care tips
Fiberglass planters are designed to maintain their new appearance and durability for many years. Normal usage should not need the replacement of the container owing to fractures, breaks, or color loss. They require less upkeep when utilized in climate-controlled surroundings, particularly when kept inside. Even so, occasional cleaning may be required to reduce dust collection, which can degrade the appearance.
We recommend that you examine the planters for dust and spillages of the potting soil every time you water your plants. Watering plants often might cause dirt to accumulate around the rim of the planter and affect the glossy finish.
A simple non-abrasive cleaning solution of vinegar and water or a light soap in a spray bottle can remove any dirt and debris that has built up to keep them looking fresh. Spray the solution over the surface and wipe it clean with a soft cloth. Following this easy procedure, you will discover that they are just as lovely as the day you bought them.
Outdoor winter care tips
In contrast to conventional terracotta planters or other natural materials, fiberglass planters with sufficient drainage holes will not freeze and shatter when used outside – even during long, hard winters.
The sun, rain, snow, ice, or cold weather will never have an adverse effect on the appearance or deterioration of the material as long as the planter’s protective layer has not been damaged.
A little soap and a soft cloth will maintain the planter’s visual appeal in all weather situations and your planters will retain their sheen and polish if they are cleaned on a regular basis.
Outside, larger fiberglass planters may be cleaned with a garden hose using the same cleaning solution as inside planters. Clean using a chamois cloth and a non-abrasive cleaner in a spray bottle. Wipe clean with a towel after spraying the solution. Steel wool or other abrasive materials should never be used. They will degrade the shine and strip away the gloss.
How To Touch Up Your Fiberglass Planters
Small scratches on fiberglass planters may be readily fixed with touch-up paint. Deep scratches, chips, and dents can be polished out or epoxy-filled. Dents should be gently sanded before applying epoxy to ensure optimal adherence. After the epoxy has completely dried, use fine-grit sandpaper to smooth off the repaired areas and paint them to match the surrounding hue.
Touch-up paint kits for various fiberglass planter finishes are available. It is critical to choose kits that contain high-quality automotive or marine-grade paints for durability and aesthetic considerations. Although there may be a minor variation between the touch-up paint and the original finish, the freshly applied paint will soon acquire the same “aged” aesthetic, as long as the suitable shade is chosen.
Before painting the outside of your fiberglass planters, ensure sure they are clean and dry. Apply layers in the following order: primer-main painting color-acrylic topcoat.
Follow this step-by-step guide to bring your fiberglass planters back to life:
- Prepare the surface of your fiberglass. This may be accomplished by lightly sanding them with a fine-grit sandpaper.
- To eliminate any dirt buildup, wipe them off with an ammonia-based home cleanser and allow them to dry fully.
- Cover any adjacent areas you don’t want paint on, such as plants and furniture. This reduces the likelihood of these items becoming splattered with paint!
- Make sure you’re in a well-ventilated area or room because it’s time to apply one layer of primer to all sides of your plant container.
- After about an hour, ensure that the fiberglass pot is totally dry before doing another light sanding. and then add another layer to make a smooth foundation Again, lightly sand any spots that have an undesirable texture.
- The plastic paint will adhere quite well after two coats of priming, and the fiberglass pot will be better protected for outdoor use. Allow the primer to dry fully before proceeding to the next step.
Spray painting or brush painting
- After priming, spray paint or brush color onto your planter. Paint the exterior of the planter but not the inside.
- Allow the planter to thoroughly dry before using it. Spray and brush paints should dry in about 12 hours.
- Take a seat on your front porch or in your yard with your freshly painted outdoor pots and take in the wonderful alteration you have made!
Check out our blog on Planter Ideas for more decorating ideas with plant pots from outdoors to indoors.
JBD Concepts Is Here To Help With Your Planter Needs
JBD Concepts is here for all your planter requirements whether it’s coloring or drilling a drainage hole, simply contact our consultants to find the best planter for your property.
If you’re not sure that fiberglass planters are the best fit for you? Take a look at some of the benefits of fiberglass planters!
Best JBD Concept Fiberglass Planters For 2022
JBD Concepts Offer You Or Your Customers The Best Planter Solutions Available
All of our planters come with an industry-leading warranty for both residential and commercial use giving you peace of mind that your investment is safe, and the form, function, and beauty of your new planter will last beyond expectations.
Are you a landscape architect or designer and want to get more customers with our planters? Contact us today to learn more about the exciting opportunities our wholesale range can deliver!
All our planters are available for retail customers too. Simply visit our store, select your planters, size, and finish and enjoy incredible value at affordable prices!
Shop now and start your container gardening journey with our modern, durable, lightweight, and stylish fiberglass planters!